Tuesday, May 16, 2017

I Believe in the Universe's Secret of the Velvet Sea

  Welcome my last blog, diligent bloggers! I thank you for staying tuned to my blogs and bid you farewell with my last entry. My life has been busy but I have managed to accomplish my goal of reading 10 books!!! I didn't get a chance to talk about some of the books I have read recently, but I will now. You might be wondering why the title of this blog is very unusual, and that is because I combined the title of the books I have read to make this beautiful concoction. I have been reading a new book every 2 weeks and yet I still have not managed to finish reading Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. Don't get me wrong, the book is very interesting! Maybe I would just rather move on to other kinds of books like I Believe In A Thing Called Love by Maurene Goo, Velvet by Temple West (my 5th time reading it because it is AMAZING!), Guide To the Crystal Gems by Rebecca Sugar (an informational book about one of my favorite shows Steven Universe!), and The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (my AP book). A trend in the books I have read is that they tend to be warm/happy books that focus on the positive things in life amidst the obstacles and struggles.

  I am currently reading a fictional book called  The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. The book is told in the perspective of Lily Owens, a 14-year old that goes through a rough beginning. The summary of the book explains Lily's journey moving in with 3 African American beekeeping sisters while learning how to be a strong woman. Reading the first pages surprised me. I was surprised that a 14-year old could have such deep thoughts about symbolism in her surroundings and how people could be so naive about death. One time, when she noticed bees outside her window, she believed they represented how her life would change after her mother's death. The bees foreshadowed that she would be moving in with the beekeepers. Regarding the end of human life, Lily ponders, "Every one of those bees could have descended on me like a flock of angels and stung me till I died, and it wouldn't have been the worst thing to happen. People who think dying is the worst thing don't know a thing about life" (2). This shows how her mother's death caused her to have a realistic point of view that many people did not share at her age.

  After thinking about her words I realized that I was only surprised about her feelings because they are the same as mine. Once my sister died, I harbored many of the same feelings and especially thoughts. I wrote poems and stories about how I felt that, similar the story mirrored now in the words I see before me in this book. I have come to understand that as people have more experiences, they will interpret the meaning of those experiences the best they can. They will interpret dreams, literature, and the physical world around them just to make sense of the world. But the universe we coexist in offers as many symbolic interpretations as it does with its secrets. The Secret Life of Bees has showed me that it is possible for characters to share a mutual insight on certain topics that apply to all humans, like death of a loved one or suffering.



1 comment:

  1. I thought it was really interesting to see how you were able to relate to the content of the book. The quote you used "People who think dying is the worst thing don't know a thing about life" (2.) really stuck out to me as well. I don't think I've read many books like this one, and it's interesting. I'll be looking forward to reading this one in the near future!

    ReplyDelete